Check out other Bird pictures

My main blog; http://wildinidaho.blogspot.com has many other pictures of birds and other wildlife.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

American Goldfinch

By maintaining nyger seed feeders year around, I now have between 20 to 60 American Goldfinch in my yard year around.  I love these little birds.  They are fiesty and beautiful.  Unlike other song birds, they molt twice a year.  During the winter they are kind of a dirty whitish yellow.  Here they are in winter plumage as they are just starting to get their summer colors on their heads.


Here a male tries to keep warm as its black cap is just starting to form.


As the spring progresses, their color will become brighter and they will fight more.


Trying to catch these beautiful birds in flight is always a goal of mine.


I will add another picture after they are in full summer dress when they get there.

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shots of the goldies. They are one of my favorite yardbirds.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful shots of the goldies. They are one of my favorite yardbirds.

Empty Nester said...

Your captures are lovely! I have only had two of these little birds at the feeders. I haven't seen them in quite a while but I keep looking.

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Great capture!

Kah Wai
http://kwbirding.blogspot.com/

Hilke Breder said...

Terrific photos of the Goldfinches at the seed feeder!

TexWisGirl said...

Hi Bill! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment! Great bird photos always lure me in so I'm now a follower! :)

Rebecca said...

Great photos! I love how you captured their wings-in-flight so clearly..

AFTERMATH said...

Fabulous action shots! Inspirational. Now if only I can get them to come to my house. They have been scarce this winter which is unusual.

Log Cabin Studio said...

Wonderful photograghs,I will be checking back in to see more of them..I love the one of the owl.
Caroline