Check out other Bird pictures

My main blog; http://wildinidaho.blogspot.com has many other pictures of birds and other wildlife.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Waxwings of Madison County

Last week I saw the first Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings in Madison County.  They were at Beaver Dick Park in a large flock.
Each spring we find them as they in large flocks attacking Russian olives and then they look for water.  Here two Bohemian Waxwings drink while two Cedar Waxwings flank them.



At times they are very active while trying to swallow the Russian olives.


Last summer after the currents in my backyard had matured, the Cedar Waxwings fed heavily on them.  They nested in the fir trees in my yard.

10 comments:

mick said...

Great to get a photo of the two kinds of Waxwings so they can be compared.

Anonymous said...

Berry thieving lot.
They remind me of seals, with their smooth plumage.
Are they the eating type red/black currants they are robbing you of?

FAB said...

Both species are very charasmatic. Large influx of Bohemians in the UK this winter but I haven't got close enough for any pics.

Fotokarusellen said...

Great! A beautiful set of images. Bravo!

theconstantwalker said...

Lovely images. Waxwings are always nice to see.

Anonymous said...

Waxwings are such beautiful birds. I have only seen them (Cedar Waxwings) here once. Great photos!

Springman said...

Great pictures of the lovely Waxwings. While the berry eating shots are classics there is something particularly wonderful about the birds gathering to drink. Sweet stuff!

jeanlivingsimple said...

I'm lucky to see the Cedar Waxwings once a year. Splendid captures of both Waxwings!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Bill, Love your header. I've been watching the web cam showing the nesting eagles...

I love Cedar Waxwings, but never see them in my backyard. We don't have any fruit trees which they love... You got some beautiful pictures.
Betsy

AFTERMATH said...

Great Bohemian shots. I esp. like the one plucking the white berries, lovely. Great captures