Check out other Bird pictures

My main blog; http://wildinidaho.blogspot.com has many other pictures of birds and other wildlife.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bullock's Orioles return to Madison County

They are the ultimate sweet-toothed or billed bird of the kingdom.  Put out a halved orange or orange flavored suet cakes and they will find them.  The Bullock's Oriole is one of the most sleek, beautiful birds that come to Madison County.  The males range from a deep yellow to a brilliant orange.



The females are fairly subdued in color, but their funny little habits make them fun to watch.


Suet cakes, oranges and even the hummingbird feeders are emptied by these beautiful birds when they show up in flocks.


The male has a "playground" voice which is loud and very recognizable, but it very shy while feeding.  To get good pictures, a blind is almost necessary.


Thank goodness for long legs.  This gal uses them to her advantage.  I noticed that it was a habit for most of the females to keep at least one foot on the tree while feeding - most of the time.  I did catch one hanging on the lip of the cut orange while feeding.


I have wasted a lot of time watching and photographing these lovely birds from my blind. But I guess I could have wasted my time in different pursuits.

24 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, but the waste was worth it! love that last shot of the leg stretch! too precious!!

they're just gorgeous birds!!! thanks for taking the time to catch them to share with us!

joo said...

They are so beautiful! I love the last shot most:)

Carletta said...

Beautiful captures of these birds!
They are quite vibrantly colored arent't they!
I too really like the last shot - priceless.
Have a great week Bill!
Carletta@Round The Bend

Mike B. @ slugyard.com said...

"Wasted"? I think not!

Carol Blackburn said...

Gorgeous bird shots, Bill. Wow!

holdingmoments said...

A little stunner!
I don't think it was time wasted; it was time well spent, in great company. :-)

BirdingMaine said...

Beautiful captures of the Bullock's Orioles! I wonder if they eat grape jelly like their cousin, the Baltimore Oriole, does?

joco said...

Hiya Bill,
Well, they need something to keep up that glowing orange plumage :-)
Love that shot of the bird on one leg. That is not what I would call 'wasting' time. Terrific sequence of a beautiful bird.

Unknown said...

Stunning bird!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sondra said...

LOVE THESE BIRDs..excellent photos, the female holding that orange steady is such a great photo of birds, Being Birds!!

mick said...

Beautiful birds and great photos.

theconstantwalker said...

Stunning colours...a beautiful bird to see.

Martha Z said...

They are beautiful and you got a great series. I wish we had them around here

Springman said...

Brilliant shots Bill! I really got a kick out of the high steppin' shot. I've been blessed with Baltimore orioles but dang if I can get a good shot at one. A blind is something I'm going to try on your advise. As far as wondering if your wasting time taking bird pictures goes, I'd recommend you stop listening to that voice!

eileeninmd said...

The orioles are gorgeous birds and so are your photos.

Unknown said...

Wow! what a wonderful series of shots! So clear! The male is stunning but the female is quite endearing - especially in the last photo - so nice to see this!

Victoria said...

From where I sit, you did not waste any time photographing these beauties... a marvelous collection of images! They are all great but I like the two of the females the best for their delicate beauty and acrobatic style of dining! (thanks for stopping by my blog today)

Anonymous said...

I'd say it was worth a bit of time to get these fabulous shots! Beautiful birds!

Pat Ulrich said...

What a stunning species! Awesome captures of a remarkable bird!

Unknown said...

Those yellows are really something! Awesome little birds and shots too.

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Not a waste...not at all! Without your eye, we'd never see these beauties. Thanks for sharing!

AFTERMATH said...

This was a great series as that particular bird gets my blood boiling. We do not have them in Maine, at least every so rarely so. I had a bird that looked like Bullock's or at least, not like Baltimore. I took scads of photos and submitted the report to our Audubon rare bird alert committee. the committee deliberated for weeks and finally decided,in spite of fifty photos, that it was inconclusive. Best guess was a hybrid, or 'hybird,' as I like to call it. Without DNA, they would not be able to say. I have tried to give up pulling tail feathers from my subjects, though! :) So, I'm thrilled to see you pics of the real deal. And great shots, too.

jeanlivingsimple said...

They are in my area but I have yet to attract them to my yard.
Your captures are splendid! Oh...of course you haven't wasted your time....silly you.:-)

Arija said...

Oh, that last shot is an absolute gem!